Skip to main content


Most projects require a permit, but there are a few instances that may not. Below are some frequently requested information to help guide you.  For additional information, please contact Permit Technician Rose Bower at 984-251-2366 x 213 or


Town of Rolesville Informational Permit Document


The Town of Rolesville issues permits through the Wake County Permit Portal. Wake County conducts plan reviews and inspections for the town. Permit types include Demolition of an existing structure, Residential Accessory Structures (Carport, Deck, Garages, Gazebo, Hot Tubs or Spas, Pergola, Pools, Retaining Wall, Sheds, etc.), Residential Structures in a subdivision or on a single-lot (Single-Family Dwellings, Attached or Detached Family Dwellings), Permanent Signs (both Commercial and Residential) * Temporary Signs require separate approval (not through the portal) from the town, Trade Permits (Electrical, HVAC (Mechanical), Plumbing), etc.

For a complete list of required permits, please refer to the Wake County Permit Portal Application Assistant.

Noise Ordinance

- Per Town Code Section 130.04.B.(9) -TA-19-05- The erection (including excavating, except for activities described in paragraph (9a) below), demolition, alteration, or repair of any building other than between the following hours:

(i) 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.- Monday through, and including Friday, and

(ii) 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.- Saturday,

except in the case of urgent necessity in the interest of public safety and then only with a permit from the Town Manager, or his designee, which permit may be renewed for a period of 3 days or less while the emergency continues;

(9a) The blasting, hammering, drilling or similar destruction of rock other than between the following hours:

(i) 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.- Monday through, and including Friday, and

(ii) 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 pm.- Saturday:

Report violations to the Town of Rolesville Police Department at 919-556-7226.

 Exceptions to Requiring a Permit :

- Blasting- The Town of Rolesville has no regulatory part in "blasting" activities typically associated with new land development; there is no 'permit' or permission from the Town to attain.  Wake County Fire Services issues all mandatory special function permits such as blasting, pyrotechnics/fireworks, underground storage tank removals and tents. Please click the link above for additional information. As a courtesy, the Town asks to be notified by the land developer when possible so the available forms of public notice (Town email News Blasts, social media platforms) can make brief mentions of the date and time of the expected blasting disturbance. Please contact Wake County Fire Service at 919-856-6343.

- Residential Fences - Please refer to the LDO, Section 6.5 and follow guidelines and restrictions; a permit from the Town is not required.

- Single-family residential Non-structural work costing less than $15,000.

- Residential accessory structures - where no dimension exceeds twelve feet (12 feet x 12 feet or 144 square feet) * may still require a Land Use Permit from Wake County Planning & Zoning.

- Residential doors, exterior siding, roofing or window - in-kind replacement.  

- Residential porches and exterior decks - in-kind Replacement of pickets, railings, stair treads and decking. 

- One or Two-family dwellings - Replacement of Water Heater, provided:

  • The energy use rate or thermal input is not greater than that of the water heater which is being replaced.
  •  There is no change in fuel, energy source, location, routing or sizing of venting and piping.
  •  The work is performed by a licensed plumbing contractor and installed in accordance with the current edition of the North Carolina State Building Code.

- One or Two-family dwellings - Repair or replacement of electrical lighting fixtures or devices, such as receptacles and switches. The replacement is required to be the same voltage and the same or less amperage, with the work being performed by a licensed electrical contractor.



New Construction (Building and Site) -

After a Site Development Plan has been signed and approved, a Pre-Building Permit Submittal meeting is required jointly by Wake County and the Town of Rolesville - contact Planning Staff at to discuss arranging this meeting.  After this meeting occurs, a building permit submittal may be made through the Wake County Permit Portal. 

Renovations/Change of Tenant/Change of Use/Tenant Finish-out (existing Buildings / Sites) -

Typically there is no "site" work involved, but if there is a Zoning Change of Use, some Uses have either (for example) buffer or parking requirements that might exceed the existing conditions, and hence such site improvements (via a Site Development Plan for just that scope) could be necessary. Barring site improvements, Non-residential building permit process is followed.

Specific to Food service establishments or Vehicle maintenance facility - please visit this page for City of Raleigh Fats, Oils, and Grease [FOG] permitting requirements - 


Building permits are required for all types of Structural construction that follow the North Carolina 2018 Building Code (reviewed, approved and inspected by licensed Wake County Inspectors). Permit types may include the following:

- Primary Residential Structures - Single-Family/Two-Family/Multiple-Family dwellings require a sealed site plan/survey, building plan, certificate of workers' compensation insurance or a completed affidavit of workers compensation exemption form for contractors, notarized affidavit owner contractor form for projects costing $30,000 or more and where an owner is listed as the general contractor, Appointment of Lien Agent where the project cost is $30,000 or more. 

-* Note: If the property will be served by an on-site wastewater system (septic) and or a water well, separate permits will be required from Wake County Environmental Services; further information regarding requirements may be obtained via:  
     - Wastewater: 919-856-7434 or
     - Stormwater and Groundwater:  919-856-7400

A Land Disturbance permit is required for any lot within a subdivision (even if the land disturbance is less than 1 acre) and for any lot with a disturbance over 1 acre outside of a subdivision. Apply through the Permit Portal for Land Disturbance – Individual Lot(s). For more information about erosion and sedimentation (E&S) control visit Environmental Services.

Your permit may also require a review by Wake County Watershed Management if there are flood hazard areas or if your proposed impervious area exceeds the allowable limit. 

- Residential Accessory Structures - The following scopes of work qualify as Accessory Structures and thus require Permit approval -  construction exceeding twelve feet wide or tall (12 feet x 12 feet or 144 square feet) including vehicular carports, decks (either attached to a dwelling or floating/freestanding), garages (either attached or detached to a dwelling), gazebos, hot tubs/spas, Pergolas (if attached to the dwelling or has a non-slatted roof), pools, retaining walls, sheds, solar panels and many more.  Accessory structures must be on the same lot as a Single or Two-family dwelling/structure but is used for a different reason. Accessory Structure permits require a sealed site plan, building plans, certificate of workers' compensation insurance or a completed affidavit of workers compensation exemption form for contractors, a notarized affidavit owner contractor form for projects costing $30,000 or more and where an owner is listed as the general contractor.


Trade permits cover electrical, mechanical, and plumbing work. This includes installing, relocating, replacing, or repairing appliances, equipment, irrigation systems or piping. Licensed contractors are required except when qualifying* homeowners complete the work. *Qualifying homeowners may choose to complete their own projects after completing an Owner Exemption Affidavit (pursuant to G.S. 87-14(a)(1) and  if they own the land, occupy the structure as their Primary Residence, and will be present for all required inspections.


  1. Determine/confirm that the subject property is in Rolesville's Town Limits or ETJ by checking IMaps
  2. Review the Wake County Permit Portal Guide & Tutorials
  3. Register for an account
  4. Select permit type and apply online
  5. Complete and submit all required documents, including a list of contractors (name, business name, phone or email and LICENSE) information. 
  6. Town of Rolesville staff will review applications for Land Use and Zoning and LDO compliance, then move on to Wake County for plan review and approval. 
  7. If comments or questions arise during review, an email will be sent to the account holder.
  8. Once approved by the Town of Rolesville and Wake County, credit card payment instructions will be emailed from the Town of Rolesville Permit Technician (use ).
  9. Pay the Town of Rolesville/Wake County combined fees through the permit portal.
  10. Remit City of Raleigh utility fees (irrigation or initial public utilities connection only) to our office at 502 Southtown Circle or PO BOX 250, Rolesville, NC 27571.
  11. Allow 24 hours (or the next business day) for the permit to appear as an attachment under documents on the permit portal.
  12. Print the permit and stamped building plans to post on the building site.
  13. All inspection requests are done through the Wake County Permit Portal account or by calling Wake County Inspections Office at 919-856-6222.  The Town of Rolesville has no role in scheduling inspections.  
  14. Please contact Town Planning at 984-251-2366 for further assistance.


Commercial Up-Fit Permit

Food Service Establishments or Vehicle Maintenance Facilities are required by The City of Raleigh to request Pretreatment Approval prior to submitting commercial building plans to the Wake County Plan Review Office for a building permit. Please click the Pretreatment Approval link for additional information, or contact:

C. DeCarlo Sanders

Utilities Analyst

City of Raleigh

Public Utilities/Raleigh Water

Sewer Maintenance Division

Raleigh, NC 27604